Tuesday 30 August 2016

Peadar O Guilin's THE CALL available now

I reviewed Peadar O Guilin's The Call a few months ago and found it to be one of the best SFF novels I've read in a while. A smart coming-of-age story infused with the darker side of Irish mythology and based on a killer concept (the Sidhe return, imprison Ireland in a magical field and relentlessly hunt every teenage human inside down for sport), it's well worth a read.



The Call is out today in the United States from Scholastic and at the end of the week in the UK and Ireland from David Fickling Books. Reviews are already out in the wild:

Publisher's Weekly (starred review): "This is a bleak, gripping story, one where only the most muted of happy endings is possible."

Kirkus Reviews: "Where the book excels is in its worldbuilding, which imagines a realistically multicultural, modern Ireland unified by the Call and where the Irish language is no longer spoken and Sídhe is replacing English."

The Bookbag:  "There are a good many survival game stories about at the moment, but The Call feels fresh and interesting and powerful. It's beautifully paced, remorseless and is peopled with characters you can believe in. I couldn't put it down. I understand a sequel - The Cauldron - will follow, and I'll be first in line to read it."

Mugglenet:  "The Call is a stunner of a book. I was taken in immediately, and was so riveted that I flew through the entire thing in just a couple of hours...Many readers might immediately draw comparisons to The Hunger Games, but The Call has much more in common with 1999’s Battle Royale by Koushun Takami...The Call is enchanting, compelling, and utterly horrifying. I loved it."

Queen of Teen Fiction: "It was gory and twisted, definitely not for the faint-hearted, but it was hard to turn my eyes away. I was desperate to learn more about these faeries and their history. Since I’m pretty sure this book is the first in a series, I’m highly anticipating another trip into this world that O’Guilin has created, and I’m equally excited to see and dreading what nightmares await the characters next."

No comments: